Stereotypes

Hey everyone, 

So there is something that really bothers me about society and that is stereotypes. You all know what I mean. I experience stereotypes all the time. It stinks. The ideas that:

  • Blondes are dumb
  • Girls that are friends with a lot of guys are boy crazy
I could go on and on about this topic but I won't because I wanna personally disprove the two stereotypes I mentioned because they apply to myself. 

First, Blondes are dumb. 


Hey that's me! Ok I don't understand where this idea that blondes are dumb came from but it is the most unfair stereotype that I have heard/experienced. I am blonde as you can see and I wouldn't call myself dumb. I work hard and I study and I care about my education. I understand people and their feelings. I got straight A's my first semester of college. Does that sound like someone who is a dumb blonde? Also, why is it only blondes who are seen as only being dumb? Why are we stuck with the unfortunate honor of having jokes about us based on our hair color? It is just a hair color and I bet if I went and dyed my hair brown, I would not be seen as a dumb blonde and people wouldn't make jokes or assumptions. Does that sound fair?

Second, Girls that are friends with a lot of guys are boy crazy. 


 





Ok all the guys in these pictures are my some of the greatest guys I have ever met. I love being friends with them and I sometimes I spend hours talking or just being around them. But that is not because I am boy crazy or because I am searching for a boyfriend. It is because these guys mean the world to me and I can't imagine not being friends with them. I know that they will always be there for me and that I don't have to worry about being anyone but myself. What is wrong with girls being friends with guys? It appears to be fine the other way around and why does that seem fair? Why can't I just be friends with them?

Saying these stereotypes out loud I know seems dumb and people do not directly say it. But society thinks it and they say things like that. We all judge people based on what we see and that shouldn't be happening. We are all more than these stereotypes. The only point of a stereotype is to group people together but what is the point of that? Everyone is different and so how can you group them all into categories when the personalities don't even match up? 

You are all more than a number. More than a relationship. More than your past. More than a stereotype. :)

Comments