Take A Stand

Hey everyone,

So for those of you that go to CUA, you know who I am talking about and those who do not go to my wonderful school, well you won't know who I am talking about really. Anyway! Back to the blog.

Tonight, Father Jude said the mass at 9pm and he had an amazing homily. Absolutely amazing! It got me thinking and reflecting on my life and choices. Which led me to writing this post. That we need to take a stand and realize we are more than words.

When I say that we are more than words, I mean it. We are more than what people define us as. We are more than what people say. No word has enough power or meaning to truly define us. We cannot be labeled by words. If it were that easy, then why would there be competition. It would just be hot or ugly, winner or loser etc. We use these words to put people into categories in life and our heads. But we are so much more than that. We cannot be defined by one word. You can be described to an extent but not defined. So we need to stop thinking that we can define people and be defined by words. We are more than words!

There is a thing at my school called YikYak and I know that other places have it too. It is an anonymous form of Twitter. A place that people can vent. A place where people can post about funny things that happen at school. But it is also a place where people can be mean and judgemental. It is a place for bullies basically. Yes I said bullies but that is because posting judgmental things to online forum is like cyberbully. And we should be more than that. So I am taking a stand. By deleting the app. I deleted my YikYak. I am not going to be apart of that forum. Even though I barely posted and none of it was mean, I commented, voted on posts, and I let it happen. I did not take a stand and say something when I saw those posts. I don't say anything when I hear awful things about others and I should. We all should. Don't get me wrong, I am the opposite of a saint. I say awful things. I don't stand up for people when I should. I didn't take a stand. And I should have. So I am going to. 

I am not going to go around and yell at people. Because I can't control people. But I am able to control myself. So I am going to try and stop. Instead of laughing at what people post, I am not going to even look at them. Instead of joining in on people making fun of people or making mean comments, I am not going to join in and I am going to ask people to stop or say something to defend the person. Instead of focusing on myself all the time and being in my head or listening to music when I walk to class, I am going to say hi and talk to people more. I suggest that people do the same because we can make a difference. We can make days a little brighter and smiles a little bigger. So let's try and make people's days a little brighter by judging less and complimenting more. Defend people, love people, try and understand people and their stories! I know that it is hard and I am going to struggle doing it. But we can do it! I promise. We can do it together. 

You are more. You are more than a number. You are more than a relationship. You are more than your past. You are more than a stereotype. You are more than judgement. You are more than words. So Take A Stand!! Because you are more! <3

Comments